As an administrator on the Synap platform, you can export user and assignment data as a comma-separated values file (CSV). This will be useful if you want to look at your data in more depth and potentially make graphs from this data to review and present.
Exporting Data Within the Portal
Firstly, head to the 'Users' page using the left-hand navigation bar. This is where you will find all of your user groups.
You can choose whether to export data from all of your students or just students within a particular group. Select 'View' on the group you would like to export data from.
To export data, scroll down the page slightly until you see an 'Export' button. Click this and select 'Export user data' or 'Export assignment data' depending on what you need.
Once you have selected your export this, you should receive a data export request confirmation in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen. Your exported user/assignment data will then be sent to the email that corresponds to your portal login details.
Once you have received the email, you can download the CSV attachment. If you have exported user data it should look similar to this. Your exported assignment data will show you the overall average score for each of your students. You can import the data into Google Sheets or Excel to for further review.
Exporting Data from Our Analytics Site
You can also export data from our analytics site. Simply login with your synap admin account details to get started.
When you have logged in, open your Collections in the left-hand navigation bar to choose which Test and User Group you want to export data for.
Select the Test and User Group from the drop down menus, specify the date range and click the 'Search' button to bring up the results.
Once the results have appeared click 'Export Data' to bring up the exporting options.
Export Setting Explanations
- Source (Test, User Group) - Reconfirm User Group and Test
- Include Current Questions - If this is ticked only user attempts made using the current version set of questions will be included. If it is unchecked then user attempts made using previous questions will be included as well
- Timeframe - The timeframe in which attempts should be exported from
- Attempt Breakdown - If you don't include the attempt breakdown then only question data (not answer or user data) will be exported
- Question Breakdown - Tick to include an export of the question / test csv. Tick 'Include question data' to export include more question information
- Response Breakdown by - Select 'None' to only receive user overall scores on the test. Select 'Options' to see which options users selected. Select 'Scores' to only see whether users got individual questions right (displayed as '1' on the csv.) or wrong (displayed as '0'). For LFQ's they will display as 'Submitted' if they entered anything in the text box, or 'Not Submitted' if they haven't entered anything
- Individual Attempt PDF's - Check this box to include a pdf of the users responses to questions. This is especially useful for tests with long form questions
- User Data - Choose what level of user data to include on the csv.
- Complete: Attempt breakdown will include all user custom attributes
- Standard: Attempt breakdown will include all user-facing custom attributes
- Basic: Attempt breakdown will include users' name, email address and Synap ID
Once you've confirmed the options for your export, hit 'Export' to receive an email containing the data.
This video shows the whole process:
You can use the same process to export Exam results. The only difference being that you will not select a User Group as Exams are explicitly tied to a specific User Group when created.
To export all of your assignment results, head to the assignment page in the left-hand navigation bar. Select 'Export all results' in the top-right hand corner to alter your settings for exporting the data.
Include survey PDFs - if this is ticked you will receive an export of each completed survey within the assignment as an pdf file separately to your export.
Include User-uploaded files - if this is ticked you will receive any files users have uploaded themselves as part of the export.
Completed attempts only - When this is ticked you will receive exports for assignments that have been fully completed only.
Test Export Format - see the collections section above for an explanation of the options.
Completion cut-off - you can change this to export assignments that have been completed within the last 7, 30 or 90 days or choose to export all assignments.
Exported Data on Request
If you would like a more in-depth export of results, get in touch with a member of the Synap team using the Intercom chat widget for admins. See some example below of the exports we have created previously.
Export of individual users answer options for each question.
An export of individuals practice test scores over each test attempt.